One of my new year’s resolutions is to develop healthier eating habits. I’ve had an addiction to sugar since I can remember (although I wasn’t always aware of it), have gone on multiple unsuccessful diets – we all know that diets don’t change a habit, which is why they tend not to work – and even gone through a few no-sugar challenges. These did give me a new perspective on my relationship with food and sugar, and while I have improved many small habits, I still have quite a long way to go.
Something that has become important to me especially in the last year is eating less animal products, mainly meat. But there are so many delicious recipes that require meat, that I’m slowly developing some recipes that substitute the meat for a vegetable, as is the case of these vegetarian tacos! I will not promise you that you won’t notice the difference, but I will tell you this: they are pretty darn good! Why not give it a go and join me in this journey?
- 500g grated carrots
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- freshly ground pepper
- vegetable oil (coconut, olive…)
- plus: taco shells and everything else you like to add to tacos. See my preferences below in the Bonus Tips section.
- A few hours before you plan to prepare and cook your tacos, mix the grated carrots with all the spices, add pepper and salt to taste, and leave to marinate. I like to do this at least 4 hours before I cook them.
- Heat some oil in a big pan, and cook the marinated carrots on low heat for about 30 minutes.
- While the carrots cook, you can prepare the rest of the ingredients and cook the taco shells. I serve the ingredients in individual bowls and assemble the tacos at the table.
- Optional: top off with homemade mayonnaise and grated cheese!
- I like to add the following to my tacos: diced avocado, cucumber and tomato. Bell peppers is another good option.
- For me, a taco is not complete without homemade mayonnaise, which you can learn how to make here.
- I don’t eat spicy food, but if you do, by all means add some chilly powder to the marinate ingredients!
- If you have the time, marinate the grated carrots 24h before you cook them. They will taste even better!